More ways to help those impacted by Hurricane Harvey
Hurricane Harvey made landfall on the Texas Gulf Coast at 10 p.m., Friday, August 25. Rainfall was in excess of 50″ in many places, causing devastating flooding, leaving more than 30,000 people seeking shelter. As a Salvation Army First Responder, MFB can have supplies on the road within 24 hours of being called. Disaster Relief boxes contain enough shelf-stable food to feed a family of four for 4 to 5 days. Volunteers assemble, pack and drive the boxes to disaster sites and the Salvation Army distributes them to those in need.
Midwest Food Bank had a load of Disaster Relief boxes on the way before Harvey made landfall. Since then, more loads have been requested and sent. Soon hygiene kits will also be sent, and the time will come when clean-up supplies will be requested. The impact of this storm will require ongoing support lasting months.
Midwest Food Bank is blessed to be able to provide a way for people to help support our neighbors to the south. We want to best utilize your time and resources. Here are the ways you can bring help and hope:
- Pray for those who are displaced and hungry. Their best help will come from the LORD.
- Donate financially
- Donate hygiene kits (details below).
- Donate cleaning supplies (list below).
- Donate food (list below).
- DONATE FINANCIALLY
Midwest Food Bank has many buying partnerships, and with our not-for-profit status, we will maximize your donation, increasing your purchasing power. Funds will be used to purchase food for Disaster Relief boxes and to cover the cost of transporting them. To make a donation, click here.
Contact us at MFB Peoria to see what volunteer opportunities are available. Ph. 309-691-5270
- HYGIENE KITS
These may be brought to our location (9005 Industrial Road, Peoria, IL). Hygiene kits should be packed in 1-gallon ziplock bags and include:
- Soap (bar or body wash)
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Comb or brush
- Nail Clippers
- Wash cloth
- CLEANING SUPPLIES
If you would like to donate cleaning supplies, please bring any of these items to our location (9005 Industrial Road, Peoria, IL):
- Pressure washers (2000 psi or above, gas powered)
- 5000-7000 KW Generators
- High volume commercial fans
- Portable sump/water pumps & garden hoses
- 10 gallon Shop Vacs (4-6 1/2 hp, 10-16 gallon, option to use a bag)
- Utility & mop buckets & mops
- Standard and contractor brooms & long-handled scrapers
- Flat shovels, squeegees & industrial scrub brushes
- Gloves (rubber coated/string knit and rubber gloves)
- Mold resistant disposable respirator mask
- Shop towels/rags in a box & sponges
- All purpose cleaners (equivalent to 409)
- Putty knives & large garbage bags
- Large garbage bags
If you would like to donate food, please bring any of these items to our location (9005 Industrial Road, Peoria, IL):
Note: No glass jars, please.
- Canned soup, vegetables, fruit, pasta, & tuna
- Peanut butter, breakfast cereal
- Mac ‘n’ cheese, Ramen noodles, bagged pasta, spaghetti sauce
- Toilet paper, paper towels
Thank you for your concern and your heart to help our neighbors to the south.
The Peoria Division of Midwest Food Bank is in need of funding to assist with the cost of food procurement and transportation. Online donations may be made at: HERE or by mailing/dropping off at 9005 N. Industrial Rd., Peoria, IL 61615.